The title already gives me goosebumb. Imagine in the mid-40s and suddenly you have this symptom of hearing loss. If you say yes to all of below, mmmm...I think you need to go for a check-up.
1. Do people seem to mumble or speak in a softer voice than before?
2. Do you feel tired or irritable after a long conversation?
3. Do you sometimes miss key words in a sentence or frequently need to ask people to repeat themselves?
4. When you are in a group or in a crowded restaurant, is it difficult for you to follow the conversation?
5. When you are conversing with other people, does background noise bother you?
6. Do you often need to turn up the volume on your TV or Radio?
7. Do you find it difficult to hear the doorbell or the telephone ring?
8. Is having telephone conversation difficult?
9. Do you find it difficult to pinpoint where an object is (e.g. alarm clock or a telephone) from the sound it makes?
10. Has someone close to you mentioned that you might have a problem with your hearing?
Did You Know?
You hear with your brain, not your ears. Your brain needs to hear all sounds to understand what it said,
There is 6 passage of sound :
1. The bowl of concha captures vibration in the air,
2. The sound is carried through the outer auditory passage
3. The eardrums vibrate and pass the sound into the middle air
4. The tiny bones in the middle ear transmit vibrations to the inner ear
5. The bony labyrinth and cochlea convert vibrations into nerve impulses via tiny hair cells
6. The auditory nerve transmits these impulses to the brain for recognition.
For my case, I always hear this ringing in my ears for many months now. It really disturbing sometimes. Moreover, my Mum has this complete hearing loss on her one side of ears at age of 60s. I always ask this question to myself....what if I have this early hearing loss.
The last time I went for hearing test during my annual medical check-up. That was about 6 years ago, The result was not that good back then. I was in my late 30s at that time. I was told it is due to I have the problem to focus during that time. OK...At least not bad. I can re-test soon.
The ringing in my ears recently really disturb me these days. So I decided to do some checkup. I bought vouchers for RM36 for ear cleaning and simple hearing test from FAVE. The package is for NewSound Hearing. You can still buy you FAVE package HERE.
They have a few outlets for you to choose from. I went to the Pavillion KL outlet. It only took 30 minutes for my case, since my ear is clean just a bit of dust and no earwax. mmmmm... well...I clean my ears regularly you know. This is my first time to ear clean by outside apart from ear candling which I have done before. Totally new experience for me.
The girl who attended to me pump in some ear cleaner liquid and left it for 5 minutes in my ears. Then she pumps out the liquid using clean water. I don't say this is a pleasant experience but after the whole process you feel a lot lighter and squeaky clean ear.
After the ear clean, I was led to audiologist test. I was made to wear a headphone in one soundproof room. I was told to press the button if I hear any sound. It is not a long process. Everything was very pleasant and well explained.
What is my hearing test result?
Yeayyyy!!!! my hearing is normal. Awwwww!!! Thank God!
Ringing in my ears could be Tinnitus . No cure so far. I have to live with this. Hopefully! The ringing in my ears is not that bad and nothing so serious about this so far. As long as my hearing test is normal. I am happy already!